Tuesday, October 30, 2012

55gal indoor water garden

This is our indoor water garden. The 55 gallon fish tank started out as a regular fishtank that was filled with fish. We found it thru word of mouth and got it for free, fish and all, as long as we emptied and transported it. So we did, about a year later a fish was added and within 2 weeks we lost the entire tank to Ick. I was determined to find a more useful purpose for this tank. So after a massive cleaning with soap, water and a brush I attepted a dirt garden. At first this were great but then the rollie pollie  war began, that I lost. So after scrubbing the tank again I decided on an edible water garden. The floats are made with foam we had from a project with nylon window screen sewed to it. The bridge in the tank was left over after our red earred slider outgrew it and the submersable pump was given to us by a friend. Added on floats are mung bean sprouts, alfalfa sprouts and lettuce. In the glass jars I have green onions re-growing. The onion and mung bean actually grew faster then we could use, I now make sure I grow less at a time but in stages, so we continually have fresh things coming out of the garden. I add sea kelp to the water about once a week and the plants seem to love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment